Monday, June 11, 2007

Expanding the Family


Well, my wife and I have decided to expand our family. So I am proud to introduce the newest member of the GotDesign family -- Sparky.

Sparky is a 10-wk old miniature Schnauzer. And a cute one at that! He has really brightened our household -- when he's not peeing on the carpet, that is.

Sparky had a dubious start. The first night we had him, he whined and cried from 10 p.m. through until about 2:30 a.m. I had to call in to work and take a sick day because I had been unable to sleep that night. But since that time Sparky has not whimpered for more than 20-30 minute on any given evening.

The next challenge was to get him to be more clear about when he needs to pee or poop. I have gotten in the habit of taking him outside regularly and that has greatly helped cut down the number of incidents. But Mrs. GotDesign and I have to keep a constant eye on him -- the moment he disappears from our collective sight is the moment we find a puddle on the floor or a damp spot on a rug.

Sparky has also progressed into the "I have to mouth or bite everything within reach" phase. We have to be careful when we play with Sparky that he does not latch on to a finger, a hand, a shoe, a pant leg -- anything, really. We are rapidly increasing the number of chew toys we have for Sparky to try to focus his toothy fetish in more appropriate directions.


Hopefully, in the not too distant future, Sparky will get to an age where he acknowledges us when we call his name and responds to vocal commands. That will help immensely. In the meantime... pray for us.

1 comment:

Genevieve Netz said...

He's really cute!

My mother-in-law had a miniature schnauzer who was her faithful and loving companion for over ten years. Little Molly helped Grandma through some rough years after Grandpa passed away. She was such a sweet little dog.

I hope he turns out to be a great pet.