Monday, January 7, 2008

Bit o' Fame

Andy Warhol once said that everyone gets his/her 15 minutes of fame, I recently got a few seconds posted to my account. By now most people are familiar with the MSNBC/Dateline series called To Catch A Predator hosted by Chris Hansen. The show features adults who have contacted what they believe are juveniles under the age of 15 for the purposes of having sex with them. The reality is that these men have been chatting with decoys and those who follow through with their desires will drive to a house where an actress/actor portrays the juvenile and the "predator" is arrested for attempting to have unlawful sex with a minor. After the men meet the decoy, Chris Hansen comes out and starts interviewing them about why they are there. You get the idea.

Back in October 2007, the KY Attorney General's Office and the Warren County Sheriff's Office hosted an internet predator sting with MSNBC. The resulting episode of To Catch A Predator (TCAP) aired on December 28th, 2007. I knew the episode would be airing soon, but exactly when. Well, it turns out that I had a fairly significant showing the episode. My responsibility was to search the suspects' vehicles (after receiving consent to do so) and to inventory all items we took as evidence.

Last week, I received an e-mail from the Director of the KBI (part of the Office of the Attroney General) congratulating me for my appearance on TCAP. At which point I had no idea. So I went to the TCAP website where they had posted 6-8 short videos extracted from the episode. Well, I make a showing in at least 4 of these web videos (I've embedded one video below). Who knew? Some of the guys at my church are now kidding me about "Variety Pack." (You'll understand when you see it.)

Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of the show and I applaud you for being part of it. To Catch a Predator is identifying some very dangerous men in this country.

Sadly, To Catch a Predator gets a lot of haters on the internet. I don't understand why. I've read the complaints and I still am 100 percent in favor of it.

Keep up the good work and don't let the haters get you down.