Monday, December 3, 2007

Thanking God

At about 7pm on Friday evening, my wife was sitting stopped in traffic less than a block from our house. A speeding motorist hit Melanie's Ford Escape from behind causing damage to the drivers-side rear wheel and quarter panel. After hitting my wife, the motorist spun out and continued forward striking at least 3 other vehicles. A by-stander who watched the accident approached the vehicle of the motorist who caused the accident and urged him to remain still and in his vehicle until EMS arrived. But the motorist then exited the vehicle and ran from the scene.

My wife was transported to Sts. Mary & Elizabeth Hospital, after complaining of neck and back pain, where she had x-rays taken. Her x-rays show no apparent injuries and she was released.
When you get a call telling you your wife was involved in a traffic accident, you hold your breath. Luckily my call came from my wife herself instead of from a Police officer. It's important at such times to trust God.

I cannot begin to tell you just how much I love my wife. Words fall short. Next to God's gift of salvation through Christ, my wife is God's greatest blessing to me. And I make sure she knows it every day.

I was lucky -- my wife was not injured. But somebody's spouse, sibling, or significant other won't come home from such an accident. If I have only one piece of advice for people, it is to make sure that the people you love know it. You don't know if you will see them tonight. Never miss an opportunity to tell someone you love them.

For the same reason, get to know Jesus the Christ. Having a relationship with Christ is not just important for life after death, but also for having an amazing life NOW. The abundant life that Jesus promised us starts now, not at death.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever! -- Psalm 118:1

No comments: